We tried a new dinner that my client actually recommended and it was so yummy I had to share. I’ve done shrimp on a BBQ, but not lettuce and I’m so glad we tried it! The thing I love about this salad is how filling it is. The char on the shrimp and lettuce really give the salad a smoky flavor that adds depth to the greens that some of us get bored with easily. Thanks Kelly!
1lb. Raw shrimp
1 bunch romaine lettuce
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts
1 clove minced garlic
Salt, pepper & dash of cayenne or creole seasoning
1 green apple
- Fire up the BBQ and bust out the skewers!!!
- Clean the shrimp and skewer shrimp and artichoke
Season with lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic and creole seasoning
- BBQ shrimp skewers for 3 min a side
- Cut ends off romaine, brush w a lil’ olive oil, salt and pepper, and grill for 2 min a side. (edges should be dark)
- Dice the green apple and toss them in a salad bowl.
- (The next part of this recipe really comes down to preference.)
- You can leave the shrimp on the skewer or off… The first time I tried it I left them on and served them separately, next time I think I’ll take them off and combine them so the flavors combine a lil’ more.
- If you take the shrimp and artichoke off, add them to the salad bowl with the apple and toss with the dressing until food is lightly but evenly covered.
- Cut the grilled romaine and add them to the salad bowl at the last minute so they don’t get soggy.
- Use tongs and lay on the dinner plate.
- Top with shredded Parmigiano Romano cheese and serve with garlic bread or other carbohydrate like potatoes like my bestie Addison did for the boys. Ladies, keep the portions smaller with both items, or leave the carbs off the plate.
Yum!!! Try it and enjoy, or tweak it, and post your variation here!