For those that don’t know, Palm Springs is one of my “special places.” Brett and I talk about retiring here someday and going back and forth between here and Tahoe lol. We were engaged and married out here, and Palm Springs isn’t like any other place I’ve been to…
Most people are under the assumption that Palm Springs is an older community for people who want to play golf or tennis all day. A quiet community with little nightlife out in the desert. These people are sorely mistaken!
Palm Springs is a vibrant oasis nestled again a red rock mountain side. It has an extremely strong sense of community involvement that can be seen throughout the city from political posters and newsletters, to local vendor appreciation, artwork, plaques hung proudly in restaurants with Awards and thank you’s. The city’s food is delicious because it is valued, and the downtown is vibrant and clean because it is also valued. I feel truly relaxed every time I come here, and miss it as soon as I leave.
There are many unique restaurants downtown that offer a wide range of options for breakfast thru dinner, but I have narrowed it down to 5 locally owned businesses you can’t find anywhere else:) Each one has it’s own details, and ambiance that keep me returning time after time.
1. Pinnochios: Hands down one of my favorite breakfast or brunch spots anywhere! They have not only a huge selection of delicious food, but large portions and good prices to go with it! Get a spot before 10am if you can because they do fill up. I’d also suggest getting a cab because the $3 bottomless mimosas are hard to pass up:) I love their Curry Chicken Salad served in half a papaya. So creative and flavorful!
2. Cheekys: I believe this spot is only a few years old. Very hip little restaurant with outdoor and indoor seating right on North Palm Canyon Drive. Be prepared for a 10-15 minute wait on average, but with menu items like duck hash under over easy eggs, you can’t say no!
3. Las Casuelas: If there’s one thing that keeps you coming back here aside from the great food, it’s the Cadillac Margaritas they serve in what seems like a fish bowl:) Great, balanced margaritas… Watch out though… they hit you about a half hour after you’re done with them;)
4. Cafe Europa: Another locally owned business on the north side of downtown that backs up to a courtyard where you can sit out on the patio under a vine covered pergola and people watch or enjoy the great landscape and sculptures. The french/american fusion inspired menu offers great ingredients like brie and Herbs de Provence, and combines them in omelettes and eggs benedict for some truly delicious dishes!
5. Lulu California Bistro: A hip new two story restaurant in the heart of downtown where the decor is just as attractive as their menu is. Overlook the bar area while trying their Tower of Tuna and Avocado. The walls are lined with black and white prints of old Hollywood stars like Audrey Hepburn, and their seafood selection will make your mouth water!