I’ve gotten some good feedback on the photo I posted of this dish the other day so I thought I’d post the recipe also so that people can partake in this yummy low-cal dinner I got off of my Women’s Health Magazine. I changed a couple of things but the basics are all the same. The best part is that guys like it too and can fill up. Makes 4-5 servings. Hope you like!
- 4tsp canola oil
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2tsp black pepper
- 1/2-3/4tsp salt
- 1 large yellow onion halved then thinly sliced
- 6 halved crumini mushrooms (can sub with bella)
- 2tbs minced fresh ginger
- 1 jalapeno diced (take out seeds)
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground curry
- 1 head cauliflower cut it small florets
- 1 1/2cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 2tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water or vegetable stock
- 1 15oz can lentils (I used black beans) rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1tsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 2tsp lime juice
1. Heat 2tbs canola oil in skillet or saute pan over med-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook completely, about 3min a side. Remove from pan and let cool.
2. Add remaining oil and reduce heat to medium. Add onion and saute 5 min. Add mushrooms, ginger, jalapeno, and garlic. Saute 1 min. Add cumin and curry, saute 1 min. Mix in cauliflower (make sure you have a big spoon so cauliflower doesn’t break apart) tomatoes, brown sugar, remaining salt, veggie stock, and tarragon leaves. Bring to simmer and cover 8 min.
3. Shred the chicken and add it back to the pan along with the lentils. Cook 2 min. Stir in cilantro and lime juice just before serving.
I made ours with some homemade hummus and a slice of toast since the recipe called for the option to have flatbread and I didn’t have any handy. It has a sweetness to it already so careful with the brown sugar. You can find the original recipe on recipe.com